We wanted to draw your attention to today’s edition of Labourlist, which is guest-edited by Tom Copley, Labour’s housing spokesperson on the London Assembly and chair of the London Labour Housing Group.
No surprise, Tom’s edition has a heavy housing focus. In addition to his overview, there are articles by
- Karen Buck MP on her groundbreaking private member’s Act – the Homes (Fitness for Human Habitation) Act
- Cllr Farah Hussain, Cabinet member for housing in Redbridge, on the Homeless Reduction Act and why the Act will fail unless more resources are put in.
- Mayor Phil Glanville of Hackney on achieving high standards in new build homes.
- Cllr Linda Woodings from Nottingham on the challenges facing councils who want to build new council houses.
- Mayor Sadiq Khan on his approach to tackling the housing crisis in London.
There are some good reads here, and some clear statements of what Labour is doing in Parliament and on the ground. As Tom concludes:
This is just a small snapshot of what Labour is doing where we are in power. But we all know that to truly solve the housing crisis, we need a Labour government. A decent, affordable home ought to be a human right. Under Labour, it will be.